2nd PLACE UTech Tropical Storm Wind Turbine


Truly ecstatic after receiving the 2nd Place Award for the Student Research Poster Competition
Television Feature: Wind turbine on Smile Jamaica
The closing ceremony for the IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference was a truly inspiring one, the keynote speakers implored attendees to make a positive difference for the sake of humanity in their home, country and community. It was at this session the winners of the Research Poster and Paper Competitions were announced. For me the nerves had subsided but anxiety took over, one can't help but wonder what the results would look like after over a year of research and development. I had some great reviews from attendees about my project and their votes were a critical part if I should be successful. The Power Point session was great too, since I truly love the rush prior to entertaining an audience and feeling during a formal presentation. But what I didn't know was the feedback where the written project document is concerned. Basically each competitor had to do a written paper on their project which I had to submit prior to completing my project in order to meet the deadline from this application the top 5 was selected but the exact result would impact the overall winner of the competition.

2nd Place Overall

After minutes of waiting and praying I was ecstatic when I was invited to collect the second place award for the student poster competition. One's ego cannot help but wanting to be number one, for me its in my biological make up; but when I considered how global this competition was, and the countries involved, such as: Pakistan, India, Australia, United Kingdom, America and Jamaica and here I was walking to the podium being among the top three, I was truly humbled. Danielle Zurovcik Founder and CEO of WiCare, a PhD Mechanical Engineer from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) won the competition and deservingly so with her project entitled "The Wound Pump" a low cost device for the poor and needy. After the conference was officially adjourned and having said goodbye and congratulated by most of the 250 attendees, I received a call  from my mom wanting to hear the results and also to share the impact Hurricane Sandy had on our home. It was quite an anticlimactic moment, and definitely showed the demand for my research which would enable wind turbines to maintain production in a tropical storm. Hopefully the technology can extend to absorb the power of high winds and reduce its impact on homes and lives. This doesn't currently exist, but IEEE engineers aims to develop technology like these for the benefit of humanity. 
Danielle Zurovick and I pose as the 1st and 2nd Place finishers
I would like to conclude by thanking all those who prayed, who 'Liked' my Facebook Page, conference pics and statuses, those who commented on my posts and shared in my experience here in Seattle. More importantly, I would like to dedicate my 2nd place award to all those who have been affected by Hurricane Sandy; whether you had lost power, entertained unwelcome winds and waters or if your property have been damaged in anyway. I pray for your speedy recovery and hope that the lives of Jamaicans and other Caribbean nationals affected will quickly return to normal. Finally, Dear God I would not have made it here in a different time zone without you, I would not have made it in the top 5, much less top 2... for your countless blessings, I'd like to say thank you. 



Comments