Top 10 Engineering Job Interview Questions



... and Potential answers

1. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? - "I would like to grow into my position and into a more responsible and respected positions, but still doing the work I care about." You might want to add "Hopefully I'll be alive,healty, happy and thriving in this career."

2. What motivates you to do a good job? - "I am motivated to know that my contribution is helping the company to achieve its goals and the feeling of successfully meeting targets, deadlines and milestones propels my productivity." (For a Non-Profit Organizations) "I like to know that my work is making a difference and impacting lives.

3. Tell me about yourself? - This is a test of how self consumed you are or might become. This question is really not about you but about what you can offer to the company, "I am a Hard worker, a quick and eager learner, I find that I pay tremendous attention to details and Perform well under pressure."

4. What is your biggest weakness? - Dig for a weakness that the company would be happy to know that you have. "I tend to get too attached to my work, I frequently take my 9-5 into my family hours." Employees love to know that you have a that much passion for what you do.

5. Would you rather be liked or feared?
"Neither, I'd rather be respected."

6. Do you have any question to ask? - "Will I have an office key so that I can come in and work on weekends"  Be enthused, induce an atmosphere "I'm going to love my job." 

7. What is you greatest strength? - Now this is your chance to shine. You are being asked to explain why you are a great employee, so do not hold back - do stay positive. "I thrive under pressure, am a great motivator, an amazing problem solver or have an extraordinary attention to detail." Find your work related-strengths and highlight them.

8. Why did you decide to interview for this position? - Consider a paper ad for someone with 5 years expericence and you applied just leaving college; This Question is a MUST! - Highlight the fact that you were very involved in college and unlike someone with 5 years experience who gets immune to the same monotonous task for the past 5 years you are fresh, ready to learn and eager to adopt to the industry's expectations. I implore you to apply for these over-your-head positions, Employers love to sense controlled audacity and you need to believe in you before anyone else can.

9. What do you do for fun? - Please don't list your hobbies, yes, yes everybody loves to read, listen to music,.... Languages! Languages are a great resume builders, and for dynamic engineering field this is something every employer seeks. Even if 'Hola' is all you know in Spanish or 'Konnichiwa' in Japaneese. Lead them to think you have an adaptive mind, ready to introduce their business to the global marketplace.

Do not say "I love to browse the internet" thats equivalent to "I live on facebook"

10. What is your long range objective? - "Within five years, I would like to become the very best engineer your company has on staff. I want to work toward becoming the expert the industry relies on and the asset that ensures that the company's goals are met."

11. Yes I can count : ) Bonus Question! The question that frequently melts the heart and burst the bubbles. If you do not get hired by our firm, what will you do? - "Analyze what I could have done better in this interview, and take this experience and use it to shape the journey into my next interview. After all life is is a lesson and I am willing to learn"

Be brief with all replies and even if you feel super confident in getting the position don't show it, try not to look too relax, sit upright, allow you interviewer to be comfortable in your presence... Be reminded, even if you don't know what your saying say it with confidence. All the best in your interviews!

Copyright Kimroy Bailey @ 2012

Some of my questions were adopted from a youtube video uploaded by '



Comments

  1. These are really good pointers! I thoroughly enjoyed reading and though I'm not a future engineer I see how adaptable they can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess i should edit my Title then lol... should i?

      Delete
  2. sum good points...I will be sure to study these for my interview.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment